A conversation with creative practitioner and Birkbeck University Lecturer Dr. Sophie Hope and Astrid Korporaal around the use of performative strategies and role play in research and collaborative art practice, as well as the importance of long-term conversations, time to pause, and thinking in dialogue.
Images and projects discussed in order of appearance:
1. Derek di Fabio, Conquer the Sky!, Almanac Projects, 2013.
2. Sophie Hope, Cards on the Table, developed with Ania Bas, Sian Hunter-Dodsworth, Sophie Mallet and Henry Mulhall
4. Frames of Representation festival symposium, ‘How to think’ with Laura Cull and Rajni Shah
5. Sophie Hope, Performative Interviews (still), 2007.
6. Sophie Hope, 1984 Dinners (Johannesburg), The Bag Factory, 2014.
7. Virginia Ariu, Untitled (Care, Community, Ecology), 2020. For #almanaccare, 29 June – 20 December 2020.
8. Sophie Hope and Jenny Richards, Manual Labours, 2013-onwards
9. Sophie Hope and Owen Kelly, Meanwhile in an abandoned warehouse (screenshot), podcast series about cultural democracy, ongoing.